- Conference on Mitochondrial Competence
You all - being able to participate in 2012 or expressing an interest in attending a future Bioblast Conference - contributed to make Bioblast 2012 a special event in the spirit of the 'Oroboros' - Cooperation and Feedback in Science.
Quality is our mission, science is our passion.
The O2k-Team wants to thank you for making possible a meeting that may have originated as a common dream and may continue as a common vision. Bioblast 2012 was a singular event. With your contributions to the Mitochondrial Physiology Network, Bioblast will re-emerge at another special occasion. We are looking forward to the next Bioblast on the horizon.
Bioblast 2012: Conference on Mitochondrial Competence
- A Mitochondrial Festival in the Spirit of Gentle Science
2012 December 10th to 12th, Innsbruck, Austria
Book of abstracts Open Access - File:MiPNet17.13 Bioblast2012 Programme.pdf
- Mitochondrial life style - from evolution to protective medicine
- Mitochondria at the top of life - their big role in sports
- History of science - the roots of innovation: From fierce competition to ‘Gentle Science’
- Mitochondrial networks without borders - Do we need a Mitochondrial Global Network?
Feedback from participants
- I would like to thank you and the Oroboros team for the amazing O2k - Workshop and meeting (Bioblast) in Innsbruck. It was a great opportunity to discuss and present my work. I hope see you soon in the next mitochondria meeting! Nivea Amoedo
- I would just like to echo all the sentiments and thank you for the invitation and hosting the wonderful mitochondrial conference that was Bioblast 2012! Great science, great venue, great people, and great fun. I look forward to MiPconference 2013 - Comparative Mitochondrial Physiology in Obergurgl. Robby Jacobs
- Thank you so much for a wonderful experience during my recent visit to Austria. It was an honor to participate in the workshop and share my views on Gentle Science as well as my ongoing research at the Bioblast Conference. The link to the 2-minute video can be found at http://youtu.be/9hgrvgAP934. Please share it with others (and post on the Gentle Science webpage) since many at the conference requested for their viewing and use. Wishing you and your family (and O2k family) a very merry Christmas and a Bioenergetic (:-)) new year. Best Wishes in the holiday season. Shilpa Iyer
- I would like to thank you and your colleagues once more for organizing such an amazing meeting, it was really a great event. We appreciated it very much. Zuzana Cervinkova
- Thank you again for all the help and kindness that you have shown us. Christos Chinopoulos
- Dear Erich, Verena and the rest of the team at Oroboros, it was a wonderful conference, great from organization to locations to content. I hope that the 'art event' on Thursday also went very well. Thank you for all you did to make such an unforgettable event. Lots of kisses from London, Ana/Odra and Nick. Nick Lane, Odra Noel
- Dear Erich, back home, I want to thank you most warmly for the excellent organization and interesting scientific programme of the Bioblast Conference. I really enjoyed being there. I take this opportunity to wish you Merry Christmas and a prosperous New Year, Lech. Lech Wojtczak
- Thanks to you and your team for creating such an interesting and inspirational meeting both scientifically, culturally and socially! All the best, and Merry Christmas, Karl! Karl Tronstad
- Erich, I just wanted to say thanks for organizing such a great event. I really enjoyed my time in Austria and had some wonderful Science conversations while also catching-up with many friends. Thanks again, Graham. Graham Holloway
- This is only to say you that the Bioblast Conference was excellent. We enjoyed the lectures and the people in this meeting. Best regards, Dario. Dario Acuna-Castroviejo
- Dear Erich, it was really wonderful to meet you and to enjoy the two great Oroboros events in Austria. Not only the scientific programs were great, the cultural events were fun and enriching. I learned a lot, and look forward to collaborate closely with you and other members in the network. Thank you so much for giving me this great opportunity. I look forward to see you in Innsbruck in January. Best personal wishes to all members in your excellent team. Cheers, Sameh! Sameh Ali
- I just want to thank you again for giving me the absolute wonderful opportunity to come out to Austria again, as a guest tutor and presenter for the Bioblast conference. You and your team did an amazing job at organizing both events! I can't thank you enough; overall, the experience was fantastic, and importantly, the ability to strengthen existing relationships and make wonderful new ones are my favorite memories. All the best, Catherine. Catherine Le
- I just wanted to thank you again for inviting me to Innsbruck. I had a (Bio)blast! I look forward to our continued work together, Bret. Bret Goodpaster
- Thanks again for hosting such a great meeting! I really had a wonderful time and tremendously enjoyed both the science and the friendship (and the art!). Cheers, Russ. Russel Hepple
- Thank you for the nice event! Zuzana Sumbalova
- Thanks for a great Bioblast conference and associated meeting festivities! Steven Hand
- 'Herzliche Gratulation zu Deinem tollen Kongress! (Congratulations for your great congress!) Martin Burtscher
- It was a pleasure to be part of the Bioblast 2012 conference, great organization, fantastic scientific programme, and wonderful social and cultural events. I want to thank you and the Oroboros team for make it possible and let me be part of it. Pablo Garcia-Roves
- Bioblast/Gentle Science was a great success. Would not want to miss it for anything in this world. Shilpa Iyer
- As I wrote to Mario this morning, all of you made a great job during this meeting. Frédéric Bouillaud
- Beginning: December 10, 17:00 Welcome Dinner at Hotel Grauer Bär
- Beginning of the end: December 12, 18:30 Reception, Gala Dinner and Concert at Swarovski Crystal Worlds
- Aerobic capacity - a world-wide topic
- Bioblasts in thin air
- Richard Altmann - 118 years ago: The Bioblasts (1894)
- Representatives of National and International Mitochondrial Societies introduce their organizations
Mitochondrial festival programme
- Bioblast 2012 MiPArt Exhibition - Light in the Powerhouse of the Cells
- Time: 2012-12-11, 20:00
- Location: Filou, Stiftgasse 12, Medieval City Centre of Innsbruck
- 2012-12-12: Gala dinner in Crystal World of Swarovski
Andreas Birkenfeld (Charitè, Berlin, DE)
Robert Boushel (University of Copenhagen, Copenhagen, DK)
William Burhans (Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Buffalo, US)
Ondrej Capek (OROBOROS INSTRUMENTS, Innsbruck, AT)
Miroslav Cervinka (Charles University in Prague, Hradec Kralove, CZ)
Germaine Escames (Centre for Biomedical Research, University of Granada, ES)
Mona Fontana-Ayoub (OROBOROS INSTRUMENTS, Innsbruck, AT)
Pablo Garcia-Roves (Hospital Clinic de Barcelona, ES)
Harald Gohm (Standortagentur Tirol, Innsbruck, AT)
Bret Goodpaster (University of Pittsburgh, US)
Lukas Gradl (software security networks, Innsbruck, AT) Meet the expert: DatLab.
Philipp Gradl (WGT-Elektronik GmbH & Co KG, Kolsass, AT) Meet the expert: O2k-Electronics.
Martin Krautschneider (University of Innsbruck, AT)
Verena Erhart (OROBOROS INSTRUMENTS, Innsbruck, AT)
Peter Schoenfeld (Universität Magdeburg, DE)
Bernd Schoepf (Genetic Epidemiology, University of Innsbruck, AT)
Petra Stoeckl (Standortagentur Tirol, Innsbruck, AT)
Michel van Schaardenburgh (Norwegian University of Science and Technology - NTNU, Trondheim, NO)
Martin Wohlwend (Norwegian University of Science and Technology - NTNU, Trondheim, NO)
Bioblast 2012 Abstracts
|Acuna-Castroviejo 2012 Abstract Bioblast||Acuna-Castroviejo D (2012) Melatonin and the quality of life: the melatonin-mitochondrion connection. Mitochondr Physiol Network 17.12.|
|Albertini 2012 Abstract Bioblast||Albertini E, Koziel R, Duerr A, Neuhaus M, Jansen-Duerr P (2012) Cystathionine beta synthase modulates senescence of human endothelial cells. Mitochondr Physiol Network 17.12.|
|Ali 2012 Abstract Bioblast||Ali SS (2012) Interrogating Egyptian mitochondria! Mitochondr Physiol Network 17.12.|
|Amoedo 2012 Abstract Bioblast||Amoedo ND, Rodrigues MF, Pereira SAS, Melo FH, Jasiulionis MG, Galina A, Rumjanek FD (2012) Mitochondrial function and bioenergetics during malignant transformation and metastasis. Mitochondr Physiol Network 17.12.|
|Bouillaud 2012 Abstract Bioblast||Bouillaud F (2012) Sulfide - a remarkable mitochondrial substrate. Mitochondr Physiol Network 17.12.|
|Breitenbach 2012 Abstract Bioblast||Breitenbach M, Mattanovich D, Marx H, Sauer M, Ralser M, Rinnerthaler M, Grabner C, Dawes I (2012) Roles of mitochondria in aging and in energy metabolism. Mitochondr Physiol Network 17.12.|
|Brown 2012 Abstract Bioblast||Brown GC (2012) Low selective pressure on our mitochondrial genome may explain its rapid evolution, poor adaption and our aging. Mitochondr Physiol Network 17.12.|
|Burtscher 2012 Abstract Bioblast||Burtscher M (2012) Strategies for improving exercise tolerance: Targeting the skeletal muscles and/or the brain? Mitochondr Physiol Network 17.12.|
|Burtscher J 2012 Abstract Bioblast||Burtscher J, Eigentler A, Gnaiger E, Schwarzer C (2012) Mitochondrial function in the mouse hippocampus. Mitochondr Physiol Network 17.12.|
|Calzia 2012 Abstract Bioblast||Matallo J, Groeger M, Wachter U, Vogt J, Radermacher P, Calzia E (2012) Interactions between sulfide metabolism and oxygen concentration. Mitochondr Physiol Network 17.12.|
|Carraro 2012 Abstract Bioblast||Carraro U (2012) Muscle training in ageing, denervation and beyond. Mitochondr Physiol Network 17.12.|
|Cervinkova 2012 Abstract Bioblast||Cervinkova Z, Stankova P, Cervinka M, Kucera O, Drahota Z (2012) Evaluation of mitochondrial functions – an important tool for experimental hepatology. Mitochondr Physiol Network 17.12.|
|Chicco 2012 Abstract Bioblast||Chicco AJ (2012) Substrate-specific impairment of cardiac mitochondrial respiration in Taz-deficient mice: Insight into the pathogenesis of Barth Syndrome. Mitochondr Physiol Network 17.12.|
|Chinopoulos 2012 Abstract Bioblast||Dobolyi A, Ostergaard E, Bago AG, Palkovits M, Adam-Vizi V, Chinopoulos C (2012) Exclusive neuronal expression of SUCLA2 in the human brain. Mitochondr Physiol Network 17.12.|
|Chinopoulos C 2012 Abstract Bioblast||Doczi J, Aniko Gal A, Echaniz-Laguna A, Mousson de Camaret B, Molnar MJ, Adam-Vizi V Chinopoulos C (2012) Properties of the mitochondrial permeability transition in human cells lacking the adenine nucleotide translocase isoform 1. Mitochondr Physiol Network 17.12.|
|Doerrier 2012 Abstract Bioblast||Doerrier C, Garcia JA, Escames G, Acuna-Castroviejo D (2012) Treatment with melatonin prevents myocardial mitochondrial dysfunction in experimental sepsis in mice. Mitochondr Physiol Network 17.12.|
|Duchen 2012 Abstract Bioblast||Blacker TS, Gale JE, Ziegler M, Bain AJ, Szabadkai G, Duchen MR (2012) Separation of NADPH and NADH fluorescence emission in live cells using fluorescence lifetime imaging microscopy. Mitochondr Physiol Network 17.12.|
|Dudzinska 2012 Abstract Bioblast||Dudzinska D, Luzak B, Stanczyk L, Rywaniak J, Watala C (2012) The influence of the extract from Rubus parvifolius leaves (EL17) on expression and activity of apyrase (CD 39) on human umbilical vein endothelial cells (HUVECs). Mitochondr Physiol Network 17.12.|
|Eigentler 2012 Abstract Bioblast||Eigentler A, Draxl A, Fontana-Ayoub M, Gnaiger E (2012) The PBI-Shredder - an auxiliary HRR-tool for the preparation of tissue homogenates for diagnosis of mitochondrial respiratory function. Mitochondr Physiol Network 17.12.|
|Fasching 2012 Abstract Bioblast||Fasching M, Sumbalova Z, Gnaiger E (2012) O2k-Fluorometry - a MitoCom project. Mitochondr Physiol Network 17.12.|
|Fischer 2012 Abstract Bioblast||Fischer M (2012) Myofacial pain syndrome and myofascial trigger points. Mitochondr Physiol Network 17.12.|
|Galina 2012 Abstract Bioblast||Simonin V, Galina A (2012) Nitric oxide inhibits succinate dehydrogenase-driven oxygen consumption in potato tuber mitochondria in an oxygen tension-independent manner. Mitochondr Physiol Network 17.12.|
|Garlid AO 2012 Abstract Bioblast||Garlid AO, Garlid KD (2012) Na,K-ATPase signaling to mitochondria. Mitochondr Physiol Network 17.12.|
|Garlid KD 2012 Abstract Bioblast||Garlid KD (2012) Bioenergetics: a physiological overview. Mitochondr Physiol Network 17.12.|
|Gnaiger 2012 Abstract Bioblast-Gentle Science||Gnaiger E (2012) Gentle Science and the Bioblast Conference. Mitochondr Physiol Network 17.12.|
|Hand 2012 Abstract Bioblast||Patil Y, Gnaiger E, Hand SC (2012) Respiration in embryo lysates reveals diminished Complex I activity and inhibition of the phosphorylation system during diapause in Artemia franciscana. Mitochondr Physiol Network 17.12.|
|Harper 2012 Abstract Bioblast||Harper ME, Yin H, Pasut A, Soleimani VD, Bentzinger CF, Antoun G, Thorn S, Seale P, Fernando P, Van IJcken W Frank Grosveld F, Dekemp RA, Boushel RC, Rudnicki MA (2012) Metabolic effects of microRNA-133 and its antagomir in mice. Mitochondr Physiol Network 17.12.|
|Harrison 2012 Abstract Bioblast||Harrison DK, Fasching M (2012) O2k-Spectrophotometry – A MitoCom Project. Mitochondr Physiol Network 17.12.|
|Hepple 2012 Abstract Bioblast||Hepple RT, Picard M, Taivassalo T (2012) Is latent mitochondrial dysfunction in aging muscle exposed through mitochondrial isolation? Mitochondr Physiol Network 17.12.|
|Holloway 2012 Abstract Bioblast||Holloway GP (2012) Over-expressing mitofusin-2 in healthy mature mammalian skeletal muscle does not alter mitochondrial bioenergetics. Mitochondr Physiol Network 17.12.|
|Hoppel 2012 Abstract Bioblast||Hoppel CL (2012) Mitochondrial functional testing – muscle biopsy, isolated mitochondria and others. Mitochondr Physiol Network 17.12.|
|Horvath 2012 Abstract Bioblast||Horvath G, Eigentler A, Gnaiger E, Tretter L (2012) Respiratory substrate effects on mitochondrial membrane potential - experiments with mouse cardiac muscle homogenate. Mitochondr Physiol Network 17.12.|
|Iyer 2012 Abstract Bioblast||Iyer S (2012) Gentle Science in the real world of mitochondrial physiology and genetics. Mitochondr Physiol Network 17.12.|
|Jacobs 2012 Abstract Bioblast||Jacobs R, Lundby C (2012) Mitochondria express enhanced quality as well as quantity in parallel with aerobic fitness across recreationally active individuals up to elite athletes. Mitochondr Physiol Network 17.12.|
|Kiss 2012 Abstract Bioblast||Kiss G, Konrad C, Doczi J, Starkov AA, Kawamata H, Manfredi G, Zhang SF, Gibson GE, Beal MF, Adam-Vizi V, Chinopoulos C (2012) The negative impact of alpha-ketoglutarate dehydrogenase complex deficiency on matrix substrate-level phosphorylation. Mitochondr Physiol Network 17.12.|
|Kliemt 2012 Abstract Bioblast||Kliemt U, Gnaiger E (2012) Power and efficiency: Tempo giusto in classical music, thermodynamics and industrial revolution, and the speed of life. Mitochondr Physiol Network 17.12.|
|Konrad 2012 Abstract Bioblast||Konrad C, Kiss G, Torocsik B, Adam-Vizi V, Chinopoulos C (2012) Absence of Ca2+-induced mitochondrial permeability transition but presence of bongkrekate-sensitive nucleotide exchange in C. crangon and P. serratus. Mitochondr Physiol Network 17.12.|
|Koopman 2012 Abstract Bioblast||Koopman WJ (2012) Cellular consequences of mitochondrial dysfunction. Mitochondr Physiol Network 17.12.|
|Koziel 2012 Abstract Bioblast||Koziel R, Pircher H, Kratochwil M, Lener B, Hermann M, Dencher N.A, Jansen-Durr P (2012) NADPH oxidase Nox4 induces mitochondrial dysfunction in human endothelial cells. Mitochondr Physiol Network 17.12.|
|Labieniec-Watala 2012 Abstract Bioblast||Labieniec-Watala M, Siewiera K, Watala C (2012) Seasonal fluctuations affect the physiology of laboratory animals – facts and artifacts from the perspective of heart mitochondrial respiratory response to tested compounds. Mitochondr Physiol Network 17.12.|
|Lane 2012 Abstract Bioblast||Lane N, Martin WF (2012) The elementary organism: a chemiosmotic LUCA. Mitochondr Physiol Network 17.12.|
|Le 2012 Abstract Bioblast||Le CH, Hocker AD, Dreyer HC, Roach RC, Gnaiger E, Chicco AJ (2012) Two-week acclimatization to 5200m markedly alters substrate utilization and increases OXPHOS efficiency, with no effect on respiratory capacity in skeletal muscle mitochondria. Mitochondr Physiol Network 17.12.|
|Leo 2012 Abstract Bioblast||Leo H, Gnaiger E (2012) Happiness and mitochrondrial activity. Mitochondr Physiol Network 17.12.|
|Mark 2012 Abstract Bioblast||Mark FC, Strobel A, Poertner HO (2012) Ocean warming and acidification – when fish mitochondria turn sour. Mitochondr Physiol Network 17.12.|
|Meissner 2012 Abstract Bioblast||Meissner B, Gnaiger E (2012) Open Innovation. Mitochondr Physiol Network 17.12.|
|Mutschler 2012 Abstract Bioblast||Mutschler R (2012) Regenerative mitochondrial medicine – from basic research to medical practice. Mitochondr Physiol Network 17.12.|
|OROBOROS 2012 Abstract Bioblast||OROBOROS (2012) 20 Years High-Resolution Respirometry – OROBOROS INSTRUMENTS and WGT. Mitochondr Physiol Network 17.12.|
|Odra Noel 2012 Abstract Bioblast||Odra Noel (2012) MiP Art Mitochondr Physiol Network 17.12.|
|Pesta 2012 Abstract Bioblast||Pesta D, Jamison PR, Zhang D, Jurczak M, Manchem VP, Bhanot S, Samuel V, Shulman GI (2012) Prevention of diet-induced hepatic steatosis and hepatic insulin resistance by antisense oligonucleotides targeted to mIndy. Mitochondr Physiol Network 17.12.|
|Pesta 2012 Abstract Bioblast-mtGlobal||Pesta D (2012) Mitochondrial Global Network - From a young investigator's perspective. Mitochondr Physiol Network 17.12.|
|Stoeger 2012 Abstract Bioblast||Stoeger H, Fontana-Ayoub M, Eigentler A, Gnaiger E (2012) Cell respiration with yeast as a model. Mitochondr Physiol Network 17.12.|
|Sumbalova 2012 Abstract Bioblast||Sumbalova Z, Fasching M, Erich Gnaiger E (2012) Evaluation of mitochondrial respiration and membrane potential in mouse brain homogenate. Mitochondr Physiol Network 17.12:61.|
|Template 2012 Abstract Bioblast||Template X (2012) 'Bioblast 2012' Mitochondr Physiol Network 17.12.|
|Tronstad 2012 Abstract Bioblast||Nikolaisen J, Nilsson LIH, Hagland HR, Koopman WJ, Tronstad KJ (2012) Mitochondrial morphology and biogenesis in cellular stress. Mitochondr Physiol Network 17.12.|
|Votion 2012 Abstract Bioblast||Votion DM (2012) The cause of atypical myopathy in grazing European horses revealed. Mitochondr Physiol Network 17.12.|
|Watala 2012 Abstract Bioblast||Watala C, Przygodzki T, Siewiera K, Kassassir H, Talar M, Labieniec-Watala M (2012) Oxygen consumption in resting and activated blood platelets: platelet mitochondria and cyclooxygenases as compounding targets for high-resolution respirometry. Mitochondr Physiol Network 17.12.|
|Wojtczak 2012 Abstract Bioblast||Wojtczak L, Suski JM, Wieckowski MR, Schoenfeld P (2012) A novel putative function of uncoupling proteins. Mitochondr Physiol Network 17.12.|
|Zipperle 2012 Abstract Bioblast||Zipperle J, Redl H, Vendl A, Junger W (2012) From the bench to the public: visualization of purinergic signalling as a model for contemporary science communication. Mitochondr Physiol Network 17.12.|
- The project MiPMap was presented in the discussion on MitoGlobal (past-conference terminology).
- A distinction is to be made between the Crabtree effect and the Warburg effect.
- In the spirit of Gentle Science and Tempo giusto, your audience asks you to adhere to the limited time available for individual presentations, and to encourage the extended communication in stimulating discussions.
- Bioblast would like to encourage the senior scientists to:
- Think big and deep - with mitochondrial competence,
- Provocative, perhaps a blend of experimental/theoretical and published/unpublished,
- Across borderlines, beyond the limits of our present experimental evidence.
- Historical perspective that projects into the future.
- Start and end with a simple message that will stick to many minds in and beyond the audience - the message beyond your abstract.
- Don't be afraid of critical comments.
- Bioblast wants the junior scientists to:
- Focus on experimental results - with mitochondrial competence.
- Present data with a critical mind.
- Don't be afraid of challenging what may be merely dogmatic textbook knowledge.
- Start with a question and end with a clear message (or a clear question) - the message beyond your abstract.
- Don't be afraid of constructive comments.
Travel options, registration and accomodation
- Information on various travel options to Innsbruck
- Registration, accommodation and cancellation policy
- Contact: email@example.com
Bioblast 2012 hosted by OROBOROS INSTRUMENTS
- The O2k-Team hopes that the Bioblast Conference will be an explicit statement on the value and high quality of cooperation between the OROBOROS MiPNet Reference Laboratories who contributed to the world-wide success of high-resolution respirometry. Your feedback is most valuable to us.
- OROBOROS and High-Resolution Respirometry
- OROBOROS MiPNet Reference Laboratories: As an appreciation of your cooperation, OROBOROS INSTRUMENTS invites a delegate of your research group to join the Bioblast Conference free of charge. According to our CSR-strategy, we stay away from ‘low-value advertisements’ to stimulate the flow of high-quality information. Our priorities focus on communication rather than diverting support away to Madison Avenue advertising. Any support by the participants is greatly appreciated.
MitoCom TyrolMitoCom Tyrol.
Förderung von Wissenschaft, Forschung und Entwicklung (Programm K-Regio); EU-Regionalförderungsprogramm "Stärkung der regionalen Wettbewerbsfähigkeit Tirols 2007-2013; Landes- und EU-Förderung.
The K-Regio project does not cover expenses for invited speakers, hotel, coffee breaks, meals or social programme.
Tourismusverband Innsbruck und seine Feriendörfer