Cervinkova 2012 Abstract Bioblast
|Cervinkova Z, Stankova P, Cervinka M, Kucera O, Drahota Z (2012) Evaluation of mitochondrial functions – an important tool for experimental hepatology. Mitochondr Physiol Network 17.12.|
Event: Bioblast 2012
Liver plays an essential role in intermediary and energy metabolism; besides other important functions hepatocytes are responsible for biotransformation of the majority of endogenous and exogenous substances including most of drugs. The majority of toxic agents act either fully or partially via oxidative stress, the liver, specifically the mitochondria in hepatocytes, being the main target. Maintenance of mitochondrial function is essential for the survival and normal performance of hepatocytes, which have a high energy requirement. Liver has amazing capacity to regenerate after toxic liver injury or partial hepatectomy; resulting proliferative processes represent a great demand for energy. Therefore, understanding of the role of mitochondria in hepatocytes is of fundamental importance.
Our research group has been working for many years in the field of experimental hepatology, namely in: 1. Liver regeneration induced by partial hepatectomy or toxic injury in vivo 2. Study of the mechanisms responsible for toxic liver injury in vivo and in vitro 3. Study of liver regeneration and toxic injury in the terrain of NAFLD (non-alcoholic fatty liver disease) which became the most common chronic disease of the liver.
In our projects we analyse mitochondrial function using several basic models: hepatocytes cultured in vitro; mitochondria in permeabilised hepatocytes; tissue homogenates; and isolated mitochondria. For measurement of oxygen uptake we are using the High-Resolution Oxygraph-2K, for evaluation of mitochondrial membrane potential (MMP) tetraphenylphosphonium (TPP+) electrode or accumulation of Rhodamin123; JC-1 a fluorescence probe is used for visualisation of the MMP. Using these methods we contributed to the knowledge about role and changes in liver mitochondria under various pathological conditions.
There is another important outcome of our work. As a university department an essential part of our activities is education. We have participated in two European projects within last 3 years; HEPIN - Hepatology Institute in Hradec Kralove and PhysiSciNet (Physiology Science Network). In frame of these projects we have organised twice a year Bioenergetic Workshops, so we became a training base for young researchers from the Czech Republic being interested in bioenergetics.
- Kucera O, Rousar T, Stankova P, Hanackova L, Lotkova H, Podhola M, Cervinkova Z (2012) Susceptibility of rat non-alcoholic fatty liver to the acute toxic effect of acetaminophen. J Gastroenterol Hepatol 27: 323-330.
- Drahota Z, Endlicher R, Stankova P, Rychtrmoc D, Milerova M, Cervinkova Z (2012) Characterization of calcium, phosphate and peroxide interactions in activation of mitochondrial swelling using derivative of the swelling curve. J Bioener Biomembr 44: 309-315.
- Stankova P, Kucera O, Lotkova H, Rousar T, Endlicher R, Cervinkova Z (2010) The toxic effect of thioacetamide on rat liver in vitro. Toxicol in vitro 24: 2097-2113.
Labels: MiParea: Respiration, Instruments;methods, Pharmacology;toxicology Mammal;model: Rat Tissue;cell: Liver Preparation: Intact cells, Permeabilized cells, Homogenate, Isolated mitochondria Enzyme: Complex I, Complex II;succinate dehydrogenase Stress: Oxidative stress;RONS Regulation: mt-Membrane potential Coupling state: OXPHOS Substrate state: CI, CII HRR: Oxygraph-2k, O2k-Fluorometer, TPP
Cervinkova Z (1), Stanková P (1), Cervinka M (2), Kucera O (1), Drahota Z (1)
(1) Department of Physiology; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
(2) Department of Medical Biology and Genetics, Charles University in Prague, Faculty of Medicine in Hradec Kralove, Czech Republic
4. Cervinkova Z, Krivakova P, Labajova A, Rousar T, Lotkova H, Kucera O, Endlicher R, Cervinka M, Drahota Z (2009) Mechanisms participating in oxidative damage of isolated rat hepatocytes. Arch Toxicol 83:363-72.
5. Cervinkova Z, Lotkova H, Krivaikova P, Rousar T, Kucera O, Tichy L, Cervinka M, Drahota Z (2007) Evaluation of mitochondrial function in isolated rat hepatocytes and mitochondria during oxidative stress. Altern Lab Anim 35:353-61.