MitoPedia topics: Inhibitor
Application in HRR
Preparation and titration
- Mna: Malonic acid ( CH2(COOH)2); Sigma M 1296, 5 g, store at R.T.; FW = 104.06.
Recommendation: Prepare fresh everyday!
- Preparation of 2 M stock solution (dissolved in H20):
- Weigh 20.8 mg malonic acid into a Eppendorf tube of appropriate volume (for final volume of 100 µL).
- Dissolve in 85 µL 5 M KOH and check pH.
- Titrate small volumes (2 µL) of 5 M KOH until you reach a pH of 6.0 (pH of 7.0 would be ideal, however the pH jumps from pH 6.0 to pH 10.0 with only very small excess KOH).
- Add H2O to a final volume of 100 µL.
- O2k manual titrations MiPNet09.12 O2k-Titrations
- Titration volume: 5 µL using a 25 µL syringe (2 mL O2k-chamber).
- Final concentration: 5 mM.
Malonic acid and malonyl-CoA synthase
Communicated by Garcia-Souza Luiz F 2016-11-11
- Activity of mt-malonyl-CoA synthase (Witkowski et al 2011) in a mt-preparation may cause stimulation of respiration after titration of malonate (unpublished observation).
- Witkowski A, Thweatt J, Smith S (2011) Mammalian ACSF3 protein is a malonyl-CoA synthetase that supplies the chain extender units for mitochondrial fatty acid synthesis. J Biol Chem 286:33729-36. - »Bioblast link«