Bioblast alert is prepared by the Bioblast editorial board to draw attention to specific topics on the Bioblast wiki.
Bioblast alert: for information purposes, not intended to be an advertisement. Contributions are welcome.
Bioblast alert 2012
Bioblast alert 2012(08): 2012-12-18
- MitoPedia glossary: Substrate control states in mitochondrial preparations versus intact cells - new perspectives in OXPHOS analysis.
- MitoPedia topic: The Mitochondrial Global Network (MitoGlobal) aims at providing a WorldWide information platform for scientific mitochondrial organizations.
- MitoGlobal Events are listed by Mitochondrial Global Network, providing a comprehensive list of mitochondrial conferences, workshops, and educational programmes. Send us your event to be included in MitoGlobal Events.
- We invite organizations with a focus on mitochondrial research and medicine to submit your contact details, to be included in the List of MitoGlobal Organizations.
- Preliminary announcement: MiPconference 2013 - Comparative Mitochondrial Physiology MiP2013, Obergurgl, 2013 September 23 to 27.
Bioblast alert 2012(07): 2012-10-24
- MitoPedia topic: Publications of historical interest are valued as milestones in science, as sources of understanding currently discussed concepts, and as a reminder that 'nothing' is new (something new is 'nothing'?) >> Mitochondria and bioblasts: Made history
- MitoPedia terminology: LEAK vs. State 2: The resting state of substrate supported respiration without ADP (LEAK state) in contrast to the substrate limited State 2 of residual oxygen consumption at high ADP concentration: >> Chance and Williams 1955.
- MitoPedia Glossary: Respiratory states
- Bioblast 2012: Conference on Mitochondrial Competence in the spirit of Gentle Science.
- Petition to protect EU science budget
Bioblast alert 2012(06): 2012-07-20
- >> More information on the MitoPedia list Substrates and metabolites
- MitoPedia terminology: State 3 - is [ADP] saturating? Not generally in State 3, but certainly in the OXPHOS state (P).
- >> Update on the MitoPedia glossary: Respiratory states
- Jacobs RA, Boushel RC, Wright-Paradis C, Calbet JA, Robach P, Gnaiger E, Lundby C (2012) Mitochondrial function in human skeletal muscle following high altitude exposure. Exp Physiol [Epub ahead of print].
- Robach P, Siebenmann C, Jacobs RA, Rasmussen P, Nordsborg N, Pesta D, Gnaiger E, Díaz V, Christ A, Fiedler J, Crivelli N, Secher NH, Pichon A, Maggiorini M, Lundby C (2012) The role of haemoglobin mass on VO2max following normobaric 'live high-train low' in endurance-trained athletes. Br J Sports Med Jul 12. [Epub ahead of print].
- Pesta D, Hoppel F, Macek C, Messner H, Faulhaber M, Kobel C, Parson W, Burtscher M, Schocke M, Gnaiger E (2011) Similar qualitative and quantitative changes of mitochondrial respiration following strength and endurance training in normoxia and hypoxia in sedentary humans. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 301: R1078–R1087.
- Scandurra FM, Gnaiger E (2010) Cell respiration under hypoxia: Facts and artefacts in mitochondrial oxygen kinetics. Adv Exp Med Biol 662: 7-25.
Bioblast alert 2012(05): 2012-06-05
- MitoPedia topic: Mitochondria and Genetics - the Coactivator PGC-1α
- Bioblast announcement: UMDF: Mitochondrial Medicine 2012 - 2012-June-13 to 16 - Capitol Hill, Bethesda, Washington DC, USA
- Comparison of common bioenergetic analysis methods: Zhang J, Nuebel E, Wisidagama DR, Setoguchi K, Hong JS, Van Horn CM, Imam SS, Vergnes L, Malone CS, Koehler CM, Teitell MA (2012) Measuring energy metabolism in cultured cells, including human pluripotent stem cells and differentiated cells Nat Protoc 7: 1068-1085. >> Continue the discussion
Bioblast alert 2012(04): 2012-04-29
- MitoPedia topic: Mitochondria - can we decide on a common abbreviation? - or simply call them Bioblasts. --> Mitochondria and Talk:Mitochondria
- Bioblast news: Light in the powerhouse of the cells - a mt-project is the winner of the Houska Award 2011.
- Comparative mt-physiology - life style and training:
Bioblast alert 2012(03): 2012-03-23 / 2012-04-03
Drosophila vs. sandworm: High-resolution respirometry in permeabilized muscle fibres
- Pichaud N, Rioux P, Blier PU (2012) In situ quantification of mitochondrial respiration in permeabilized fibers of a marine invertebrate with low aerobic capacity. Comp Biochem Physiol A Mol Integr Physiol 161: 429-435.
- Pichaud N, Ballard JW, Tanguay RM, Blier PU (2011) Thermal sensitivity of mitochondrial functions in permeabilized muscle fibers from two populations of Drosophila simulans with divergent mitotypes. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 301: R48-R49.
New from the Ballard lab:
- Horan MP, Pichaud N, Ballard JW (2012) Review: Quantifying mitochondrial dysfunction in complex diseases of aging. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci [Epub ahead of print].
Bioblast alert 2012(02): 2012-03-06
- 50 Years ago: Nick Holonyak, considered as the "father of the light-emitting diode", developed the first practical visible-spectrum LED in 1962. Which colour? What is a LED? >>> see Glossary: Fluorescence
Mitochondrial dys/function in obesity vs. anorexia:
- Lindfors C, Nilsson IA, Garcia-Roves PM, Zuberi AR, Karimi M, Donahue LR, Roopenian DC, Mulder J, Uhlén M, Ekström TJ, Davisson MT, Hökfelt TG, Schalling M, Johansen JE (2011) Hypothalamic mitochondrial dysfunction associated with anorexia in the anx/anx mouse. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 108: 18108-18113.
- Holmstroem MH, Iglesias-Gutierrez E, Zierath JR, Garcia-Roves PM (2012) Tissue-specific control of mitochondrial respiration in obesity-related insulin resistance and diabetes. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 302: E731-E739.
Bioblast alert 2012(01): 2012-02-27
- Larsen FJ, Schiffer TA, Sahlin K, Ekblom B, Weitzberg E, Lundberg JO (2011) Mitochondrial oxygen affinity predicts basal metabolic rate in humans. FASEB J 25: 2843-2852.
- Larsen FJ, Schiffer TA, Borniquel S, Sahlin K, Ekblom B, Lundberg JO, Weitzberg E (2011) Dietary inorganic nitrate improves mitochondrial efficiency in humans. Cell Metab 13: 149-159.
Bioblast alert - feedback
- Eine tolle und sehr nützliche Website! (This is a great and useful webpage!) - Gottfried Schatz, Basel, CH (2012-10-28)
- I have been absolutely astonished by the quantity and quality of online information made available by Oroboros through Bioblast and the associated resources. Josh Fessel Nashville, TN, US (2012-11-26)